According to De Telegraaf, Manchester United have been dealt a blow with Barcelona moving in on Ajax winger Justin Kluivert. The 18-year-old, who is the son of ex-Barca and Netherlands striker Patrick, has been linked with a host of clubs of late and could be on the move in the summer as a result.
Kluivert was promoted to the Ajax first-team during the second half of last season, scoring and creating six goals in seven Eredivisie starts. He’s been in fantastic form this campaign too, contributing 10 goals in 20 games.
In addition to United, talkSPORT have named Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham as suitors, but Barcelona may be his preferred choice given what he said in a recent interview.
Interesting quotes from Justin Kluivert interview in De Telegraaf, translated by @NuelWeinchard. Says he prefers a move to #Barça , that #Messi is a better player than #Ronaldo but that the #RealMadrid man is his idol and his playing style is similar to the Portuguese.
— Jason Pettigrove (@jasonpettigrove) January 20, 2018
Kluivert has also said that he doesn’t want to rush and make the wrong move early in his career, so United still have a chance of landing his signature. However, the stiff competition for the Netherlands u21 international doesn’t make their job any easier.
He’s so far made 46 appearances in all competitions for the Ajax first-team, but Kluivert’s future is shrouded in uncertainty while clubs continue to be linked. United aren’t short of attacking options either with Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Juan Mata, Anthony Martial and Alexis Sanchez available, so he may not be priority right now.