Manchester United will be made to wait until ‘this weekend’ for Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic to clarify his future, according to agent Mateja Kezman. Manchester Evening News say Jose Mourinho wants the Serbian international as a Michael Carrick replacement but isn’t any closer to sealing a deal.
Carrick is hanging up his boots this summer to become United’s assistant manager next season, leaving the Red Devils with a creative midfield void to fill. The former English international was a calming presence in the engine room, but Milinkovic-Savic provides more of a box-to-box and physical threat – perhaps more similar to Marouane Fellaini who could be exiting Old Trafford.
United have a decent midfield in spite of the two potential departures, with Paul Pogba joined by Nemanja Matic and Ander Herrera, but a fourth option would boost their title hopes next season. However, Kezman has said that Milinkovic-Savic’s future won’t be decided until after Lazio’s final game of the season.
“The interest in Sergei is enormous. But on Sunday Lazio will have to play the most important game of all and it makes no sense to talk about a transfer. Until the end of the season it is concentrated exclusively on Lazio,” he said.
The 23-year-old won’t come cheap if it is United who procure his signature, as he’s been valued at around £80m this summer. Reports earlier this month that the Red Devils had signed their man have proven to be premature, but it does appear Mourinho’s men are leading the chase.